Scroll down for a recap of Sunday’s awards.
– Album of the yr: “We Are,” Jon Batiste
– Document of the yr: “Leave the Door Open,” Silk Sonic
– Finest new artist: Olivia Rodrigo
– Track of the yr (songwriter’s award): “Leave the Door Open,” Silk Sonic (Brandon Anderson, Christopher Brody Brown, Dernst Emile II and Bruno Mars)
– Finest rap efficiency: “Family Ties,” Child Keem that includes Kendrick Lamar
– Finest pop duo/group efficiency: “Kiss Me More,” Doja Cat that includes SZA
– Finest nation album: “Starting Over,” Chris Stapleton
– Finest R&B album: “Heaux Tales,” Jazmine Sullivan
– Finest pop vocal album: “Sour,” Olivia Rodrigo
– Finest pop solo efficiency: “Drivers License,” Olivia Rodrigo
– Finest rock album: “Medicine at Midnight,” Foo Fighters
– Finest rock music: “Waiting On a War,” Foo Fighters
– Finest rock efficiency: “Making a Fire,” Foo Fighters
– Finest rap music: “Jail,” Kanye West that includes Jay-Z
– Finest rap album: “Call Me If You Get Lost,” Tyler, the Creator
– Finest different music album: “Daddy’s Home,” St. Vincent
– Finest conventional pop vocal album: “Love for Sale,” Tony Bennett and Girl Gaga
– Finest music video: “Freedom,” Jon Batiste
– Producer of the yr, non-classical: Jack Antonoff
– Finest R&B music: “Leave the Door Open,” Silk Sonic
– Finest R&B efficiency: (tie) “Leave the Door Open,” Silk Sonic, and “Pick Up Your Feelings,” Jazmine Sullivan
– Finest music movie: “Summer of Soul”
– Finest nation music: “Cold,” Chris Stapleton
– Finest nation solo efficiency: “You Should Probably Leave,” Chris Stapleton
– Finest nation do/group efficiency: “Younger Me,” Brothers Osborne
– Finest comedy album: “Sincerely Louis CK,” Louis C.Okay.
– Finest roots gospel album: “My Savior,” Carrie Underwood
– Finest gospel album: “Believe For It,” CeCe Winans
– Finest American roots efficiency: “Cry,” Jon Batiste
– Finest American roots music: “Cry,” Jon Batiste
– Finest música urbana album: “El Último Tour Del Mundo,” Unhealthy Bunny
– Finest Latin rock or different album: “Origen,” Juanes
– Finest improvised jazz solo: “Humpty Dumpty (Set 2),” Chick Corea
– Finest Latin jazz album: “Mirror Mirror,” Eliane Elias with Chick Corea and Chucho Valdés
– Finest musical theater album: “The Unofficial Bridgerton Musical”
– Finest compilation soundtrack for visible media: “The United States vs. Billie Holliday”
– Finest rating soundtrack for visible media: (tie) “Soul,” Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, and “The Queen’s Gambit,” Carlos Rafael Rivera
– Finest dance/digital album: “Subconsciously,” Black Espresso
– Finest international music: “Mohabbat,” Arooj Aftab
– Finest international music album: “Mother Nature,” Angélique Kidjo
– Finest conventional blues album: “I Be Trying,” Cedric Burnside
– Finest modern blues album: “662,” Christone “Kingfish” Ingram
– Finest folks album: “They’re Calling Me Home,” Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi
– Finest historic album: “Joni Mitchell Archives, Vol. 1: The Early Years (1963-1967)”
Jon Batiste received album of the yr honors for “We Are” on the Grammy Awards on Sunday, giving him 5 trophies on an evening that noticed the ’70s funk of Silk Sonic take document of the yr and music of the yr and newcomer Olivia Rodrigo take three awards.
Batiste honored the artists he beat. “The creative arts are subjective,” he mentioned. “Be you.”
The multi-genre performer additionally received for his music “Cry,” the video for “Freedom” and his work with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross on the soundtrack for “Soul.”
“I just put my head down and I work on the craft every day. I love music,” he mentioned.
The R&B supergroup Silk Sonic took dwelling awards in all 4 classes it was nominated in, together with document of the yr. Olivia Rodrigo collected three trophies, together with the coveted finest new artist honor.
Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak had been exuberant as they accepted the distinction towards the tip of the ceremony. The win places Mars in historic firm once more: He turns into the one artist together with Paul Simon to take dwelling the award 3 times.
“We are really trying our hardest to remain humble at this point,” .Paak mentioned. “But in the industry, they call that a clean sweep!” later including “drinks is on Silk Sonic tonight!”
The night time’s festivities grew grim when Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy addressed the gathering with an replace on the warfare and his numbers included kids injured and killed. “Our musicians wear body armor instead of tuxedos,” he mentioned. “We are fighting Russia, which brings horrible silence with its bombs. The dead silence. Fill the silence with your music.”
He ended by saying: “Tell the truth about the war on your social networks, on TV. Support us in any way you can any, but not silence. And then peace will come to all our cities.”
John Legend then carried out “Free” with Ukrainian exiles together with singer-actress Mika Newton and poet Lyuba Yakimchuk.
Silk Sonic – the all-star union of Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak – opened the Grammys in Las Vegas with their high-energy, infectious repair of retro soul and funk by performing their “777.” They returned to the stage a short while later to gather the music of the yr trophy for “Leave the Door Open.”
The win helps Mars tie the document for many music of the yr wins. He had beforehand received for “24K Magic.” Each Mars and .Paak jumped out their seat, threw up their arms and dance to their music.
“I couldn’t be more proud to be doing this with than anyone other than you,” Mars mentioned to .Paak. “We’ll be singing this song together for the rest of our lives.”
Host Trevor Noah launched the duo’s opening efficiency by saying they had been singlehandedly bringing again the Seventies, “which might explain the inflation.”
By the point the present began on CBS, Jon Batiste has already taken dwelling 4 Grammy Awards, together with his first ever. Throughout the present’s pre-telecast ceremony, Batiste received for finest American roots efficiency, finest American roots music, finest music video and tied with Carlos Rafael Rivera for finest rating soundtrack for visible media. His music “Freedom” within the music video class beat out a number of different robust rivals, together with Rodrigo, Lil Nas X and Eilish.
“I am so grateful for the gifts that God has given me and the ability to share that for the love of humankind,” Batiste mentioned. “We just wanted everyone to see it. Any depression, any bondage or any darkness that was over your life is completely removed by just the love and the joy of the video.”
It is the primary tie since 2019 when Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock, Future and James Blake tied with Anderson .Paak to win finest rap efficiency.
Batiste entered the Grammys because the main nominee with 11 nominations. The losses halted the multi-talented performer from making historical past for many wins in a single night time.
It was a household affair from cousins Child Keem and Kendrick Lamar, who received finest rap efficiency for his or her music “Family Ties.” Lamar received his 14th Grammy and the primary for Keem, who mentioned “nothing could have prepared me for this moment” after stepping out onstage to say his trophy.
Chris Stapleton received his third Grammy for finest nation solo efficiency for “You Should Probably Leave.” He prolonged his document for probably the most wins.
Wearing all black, BTS took the stage with a flirty second between V and Rodrigo earlier than the group carried out their hit single “Butter.” The made an look after one of many members examined optimistic for COVID-19. All seven of the members – Jin, Jimin, V, RM, J-Hope, Suga and Jungkook – acted as in the event that they had been secret brokers with neon-blue lasers, dancing with clean choreography earlier than going into a short rap portion of the music.
Foo Fighters received three awards Sunday, however weren’t in attendance to select up their trophies following the latest demise of its drummer Taylor Hawkins. The rock band did prolong their document for many finest rock album wins with 5 for “Medicine at Midnight.” The group’s music “Making a Fire” received finest rock efficiency and “Waiting on a War” bested different nominees for finest rock music.
Throughout Eilish’s efficiency, she paid homage to the late Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins by sporting a black T-shirt together with his picture. She stepped onstage in an upside-down home alongside along with her brother Finneas earlier than entering into the rain to carry out the title monitor from her “Happier Than Ever.”
TJ Osborne, who got here out as homosexual final yr, fought again tears as he and his brother accepted a Grammy for the Brothers Osborn music “Younger Me.” He famous the music was impressed by his popping out.
“I never thought that I would be able to do music professionally because of my sexuality. And I certainly never thought I would be here on the stage accepting a Grammy after having done something I felt like was going to be life changing and potentially in a very negative way,” Osborne mentioned.
“And here I am tonight, not only accepting this Grammy Award with my brother, which I love so much, but I’m here with a man that I love and he loves me back. … I don’t know what I did be so lucky.”
Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson received his sixth Grammy for finest music movie by “Summer of Soul (… Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised.”) His documentary additionally received an Oscar for finest documentary characteristic final weekend.
Chick Corea and Vicente Fernandez every received posthumous Grammys. Joni Mitchell received finest historic album for “Joni Mitchell Archives – Vol. 1: The Early Years (1963-1967).”
“Thanks to the academy for this nomination and this win, I didn’t expect this,” she mentioned.
Eilish may grow to be the primary artist ever to win document of the yr 3 times in a row, and the one artist together with Paul Simon to take dwelling the award 3 times. She’s in place to hitch Adele as the one artists to ever win three main classes – document, music and album of the yr – twice. She beforehand received for “Bad Guy” and “Everything I Wanted.”
The ceremony shifted from Los Angeles to Las Vegas due to rising COVID-19 instances and the omicron variant in January, with organizers citing “too many risks” to internet hosting the performance-filled present on the time.
Artists competing with Eilish for album of the yr embrace Rodrigo, Batiste, Tony Bennett and Girl Gaga, Justin Bieber, Doja Cat, H.E.R., Taylor Swift, Lil Nas X and Kanye West.
Bennett prolonged his document because the artist with probably the most conventional pop vocal album with 14 wins with “Love for Sale,” a duet album with Girl Gaga.
AP Leisure Author Mark Kennedy contributed to this story.
Copyright © 2022 by The Related Press. All Rights Reserved.